Tuesday, 1 September 2009

My first rave

Recently I went with some friends to a genuine warehouse rave in the outskirts of Wellington city. It was rather awesome.

Half the fun - getting ready. We had five of us at our flat for pre-rave drinking, make-up artistry and general pratting around. I didn't really know what to do for an "outfit" - ended up with someone else's self-made t-shirt ($8 NZ) with pink feather glued to the shoulders + a trail of blue fairy lights over the chest. Hells yeah.

Rave itself was great fun - getting there wasn't easy, but that's the point! - a real warehouse/construction site with big speaker stacks, UV light and green laser light thingy. I'm not a fan of drum'n'bass or techno or electro - I barely know the difference between them all - but the music at first was varied and tuneful which was great for dancing. Took some bad photos, until the fire poi crew turned up, which made some awesome photos. Eventually the cold got to us and the tunes turned bad and we went home about 1:30ish (rather early for an old-fashioned rave...)

For $10, pretty damn good and a fun night out. There were some safety issues - e.g. a guy climbing up to the roof, drugs or not, what a twat. The next day we had black stuff in our noses, hell knows what we were breathing. And I don't think I'd want to attend an real overground club or event doing the same kind of music - the music definitely wasn't something I could take seriously and half the fun was mucking around and having a laugh. But it was definitely a kick-arse night of fun times :)

P.S. Sent some feedback to the organiser(s), who replied back comprehensively and politely. Clearly very very cool people.

P.P.S. Apparently the warehouse rave thing never happened back in the 80s, so it was the first ever one in Wellington :D

P.P.P.S. The "crystal ball" move didn't catch on and I was left doing it alone, which is strictly forbidden. Disappointed, Wellington! It will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment