Monday, 27 December 2010

So. 2010 happened.

Ah, could've been better, could've been worse. I'll be honest, I didn't get as much done as I did last year - creative achievements basically centre around that thar Dinosaurs song. Here are some highlights:
  • Having my friend Matt Pawsey come visit NZ for new year's and a month in Wellington - great times
  • Releasing my debut, full-production, rock single "I Believe In Dinosaurs" - satisfaction ahoy
  • Making my first music video - big ups to everyone who helped
  • Launch party for aforementioned single - a fantastic night, so many thanks to friends/fans/bandmates/fellow musos/Bar Medusa
  • UK & Europe holiday - just simply an amazing time.
  • Jesus & the All Stars Episode 1 - only a short story, but definitely the start of something
  • Open mic nights at the Fringe Bar all year - great times
  • Lighthouses video shoot - again, thanks everyone involved.
It's been an interesting year. Some of us swore in 2009 that 2010 would be much better for everyone, and maybe it has, but from continuing money/employment difficulties to breaking up with my girlfriend, it's not exactly been a barrel of laughs the whole way.

On the creative front, I'm trying to put it down as a transitional year. Last year I recorded an album with acoustic guitar & webcam mic - it was great, but the main purposes were 1) to see if you can record a multi-layered album with basic equipment anywhere in the world (you can), 2) to get a bunch of songs from a certain period of my life recorded and out of my system, and 3) to make something while working towards bigger and better things.

Now, I have better equipment, and recording electric guitar and bass for the first time in 3 years (last time was The Digerati session) felt gooooooooooood. While Dinosaurs is no masterpiece in audio production, it's a good first effort, and more significantly it's marked the beginning of a new period. The Lighthouses single is in the pipeline for next year (another launch party in March!), and the album project has begun.

I'm also getting closer to playing real gigs again, with electric guitar live to raw backing tracks. Backing tracks are not exactly rock'n'roll but I think I can pull it off. It's something I've been talking about for a long time but found very difficult to reach. 2011 will see this happen.

Today is Boxing Day, and having flown up to see my rellies in Orewa for Christmas, I'm off to Ohope Beach in the Bay Of Plenty for a 3rd new year's holiday on another kiwi beach in the sun with awesome awesome friends. Barbecues ahoy!

Best of wishes to everyone out there, especially family, friends & fans who've been really supportive, and all you European folk in the ice and snow - hope 2010 has treated you well, and that you had a great Christmas/Saturnalia/assorted pagan festival celebration. Have a fantastic new year, and see you in 2011.

Jez







No comments:

Post a Comment