Monday, 31 January 2011

So, that Lighthouses video

The Lighthouses video premiere went brilliantly - we watched Animals and Dinosaurs as a warm-up, then watched the new video, which everyone enjoyed (so much that we watched it again straight after, and then again later when different people arrived at the party), all of it on the big projector screen. The webcast on ustream.tv/user/jezkemp worked, and you can see the recorded stream, complete with me talking gubbins about the videos and everyone chatting over the top. A huge moth-beetle hybrid came in and bit me, I drank lots of red wine and we all went out and got smashed. That's not massively relevant but I just like to share.

But why, you may be asking, is the video not online yet?
Here's one reason:


That's a shot of me making notes on a supermarket receipt while video editing at 3am on Thursday night. I won't lie, I've lost a lot of sleep the last 2 weeks, and it's not healthy. The madness got so severe at one point I was drinking kahlua straight from a Spongebob Squarepants glass while watching Vietnamese cookery. Incidentally, Vietnam has loads of vegetables that I've never heard of before.

The gist is I ran out of time to get everything 100% finito by the premiere - I did what I could to make it look acceptable for people who came to see it, but it's still not quite right and I'm not happy uploading something that's only "okay" or "pretty good".

I started working on the video at the start of January when I was unemployed and had all the time in the world; fast forward to this last week, starting a new job, and I didn't even have any vocals recorded with 4 days til the premiere. (I even had to re-do them because it's been so long since I recorded Dinosaurs, I'd forgotten how close you have to sing in to the mic.) What have we learnt? There's always much more to do than you think.

Anyway, the video itself is done, but it'll be a few days while I polish off the audio and get the track sounding as MINT as it should do, or as close as my dubious mastering skills will let me. Then it'll be unleashed on Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Last FM, Bandcamp, Reverbnation, hell even Myspace. Thanks for your patience, and fear not, I'll let you know when it's ready.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I can't wait, personally I plan to watch it at least 5,000 times :) That's a little over 300 hours' worth of viewing time that I need to get started on, stat!

    ReplyDelete