Sunday, 9 January 2011

Things I want to achieve

Rather than writing an insane list of things I can't achieve in one year, I'm going to write out where I am in life at the moment and what I want to do.
  • I want to play live, with electric guitar, to raw backing tracks. Doesn't sound very rock'n'roll, but performing onstage is what you make it. And my big aim is to be able to travel and play gigs independently, by train or bus or plane or whatever, with just a guitar and a preamp and a set of tracks in my pocket. It won't ever take the place of playing live with a band, but it's an important step for me as a solo performing musician. I have been without the rock for too long.
  • I want to write more books. I'm working on one right now called HYPER. After 17 years of writing and 8 novels, it's going to be my best book yet.
  • I want to tour Europe. When F451 went to Slovakia in May 2007, two things struck me - European kids LOVE rock, and I LOVE Europe. It was tough as a band, and we barely made it through 5 gigs in 4 days, but it was one of my absolute highlights of 4 years of F451. I want to get back there and play live, then go back and play live again.
  • I want to tour New Zealand, and Japan, and other places. Lofty goals, but if I can tour Europe by myself, the only thing stopping me from playing other countries is the price of a plane ticket, which is coming down all the time. I'm definitely coming back to NZ, and I'm coming back to rock out.
  • I want to learn to drive. I don't know if I'll ever need a car, or even be able to afford one, but it's something I've put off for long enough. I owe a lot of people a lot of lifts too.
  • I want to get into web work. It's something I can do and a skill set that'll be in demand for years to come. And I need at least some kind of long-term employment plan.
  • I want to expand and develop Global Music Feed. I've made it into a functioning object, but there's a lot more to do, and I see a lot more potential in it.
  • I want to record an album. Not just any album. A bright, full, kick-arse album full of rock and great tunes and where every song is a potential single. Okay, "Without Fear" was an album, but it doesn't count. I want rock guitars and drums and synths and strings. I want shit going down. And work has already begun on Project Airfix.
  • I want to get my masters degree. I always thought I would go back to university some time, probably in my 30s, to get a masters. Doing a temp job at the Victoria University of Wellington reminded me how much I love the cosmopolitan atmosphere of university and just simply studying and learning. I also have a vague idea about getting into the graduate careers loop which I so carelessly rejected on finishing my bachelor's at Bristol. I don't know how effective that will be, and I know that doing a masters is expensive, and that changes by the new UK Con-Dem government will make it even more expensive. So I don't see it happening any time soon. But I've found a wonderful place called Birkbeck College, part of the University of London, which does evening lectures and courses but as a real academic university. Maybe I won't do it there but it gives me hope that it's a real possibility for me in the next few years.
  • I want to record and release singles. Lots of them. With my equipment and software, I'm finding it's very easy to record music quickly - and thinking back to the early days of my first band Liquid Idolator, recording 4-track EPs in 8 hours, I want to be able to start recording a song and upload it, finished by the end of the day. I don't know how many I'll get done but I definitely want to do one this year.
  • I want to move to London. This was always my goal before coming to Wellington, and now I'm just responsible for myself with a visa running out in October, it's my plan again. And despite the fact I've realised it'll take longer than I hoped - first I need a job in Essex, then a job in London, then a flat in London - that's absolutely where I'm going.
Some will be done this year, and some definitely won't. But they're all things I want to do.


1 comment:

  1. Great post- I hope you reach your goals (a little birdy tells me you will). See you soon, Jackie

    ReplyDelete