Friday, 4 February 2011

Making my music and books free

I’ve decided to make all of my music and books as pay-what-you-like, i.e. FREE if that’s what you want to pay.

 

I’ve been thinking about it for a while, and with the combination of Project Airfix (where all recorded material will be made freely available) and the impending Lighthouses release, I’ve decided it’s the only way to go.

 

The first to be made free will be 2009’s album “Without Fear”. This will be followed by the “I Believe In Dinosaurs” single, and when it’s released on 25th March 2011, the Lighthouses single.

 

This is in part inspired by Decortica, an excellent prog-heavy-rock band from Auckland, who are following the “freemium” model – ie the music itself is free, and people can pay for extras like deluxe add-ons or hard copies. Both their 1st full length album and their new mini-album “Love Hotel” are free, and they are also an insanely good (and loud) live act. I haven’t been as impressed with a live, unaided 3-piece since seeing Muse in the early days.

 

I’ll be posting another blog about my opinions on downloading, file-sharing, and the destiny of the independent musician/author in the post-scarcity age of music and other creative arts.

 

I will also be giving my book “NO UP” the editing it deserves (thanks to hard work by my editrix Theresa) and arranging for the entire trilogy to be made free as e-books.

 

Remember “free” is only optional – if you feel like donating/paying some money, or downloading and paying at a later date if you like what you get, that’s absolutely okay too! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment