- The Iraq invasion was sold on the link between Saddam Hussein and terrorism, directly connected to 11th September 2001 terrorist attacks. Without that bogus fear, the invasion could not have happened.
- No-one is invading Libya - yet, at least, but still. It's air strikes against clear military targets.
- The action in Libya has UN approval.
- Libya was (and still is) in a state of civil war for weeks before the action, such is the slow nature of the UN. Libyans lost their lives peacefully demonstrating, and have been losing their lives facing their government's own military.
- Obama is not Bush. This may sound acadmic to some, but the approach to Libya has been huge: Obama is desperate to cede control to NATO, rather than the US military, and there hasn't even been an aircraft carrier stationed near Libya. The Bush administration hard out wanted a war and went to great lengths to deceive the world into getting one.
Monday, 28 March 2011
Why Libya is not Iraq
Just catching up on some overdue blogging while I've been busy with Lighthouses. This is a short post with bullet points: