Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Being a foreigner is quite annoying.

Hello friends. This is just a mini rant with swearing where I validate myself and my life.

Regarding staying in NZ:
  • My temp position at Govt Dept X becomes permanent in October, and even if it's opened for applications, only citizens and residents will be able to apply.
  • My work experience is not considered "skilled" to apply under Skilled Migrants.
  • I have lots of family in NZ but none are immediate, so means nothing to Immigration.
So my only option to stay is applying under BUNAC, which would give me another 12 months, but
  • It's not guaranteed I'd get it (95% at a guess, but still)
  • Granted in October = finding a job from scratch upon my return
  • Spending 4+ weeks in the UK with no work
  • Trying to hold onto a flat here. (I like this flat. It's the best flat in a patchy record of flatting. Finding another flat - then moving all over again - does not excite me.)
  • Buying a flight now, when I may not be granted a visa
It would be very easy to throw in the towel and sail home to UKshire. I thought about jumping ship to the desert continent next door where all the jobs are, but their laws on employing foreigners are even stricter than New Zealand.

So. What. Do. I. Do.
Here is what I'm going to do.
  • I'm going to spend the next 3 months hammering away at agencies with my CV, and ONLY agencies, because applying directly for jobs with my CV as it is, in this economy, is a fool's game and a fucking waste of time. It's still a snowdrop's chance in hell that agencies will find me a job for 6+ months which an employer can sponsor me for - which a market analysis of the labour market would confirm that a NZer can't do (that's the rules, kids) - but it's still a chance.
  • I am NOT going to worry if I don't get a job by October because I know it's 99% not going to happen.
  • I'm going to go for BUNAC, because I don't want to leave Wellington yet. I like it here and the UK economy is in the toilet. I'm ready to go if I have to - I only came here originally for 11 months, and by October I'll have had 3 years, a shitload of friends and the only solid meaningful relationship with a woman in my life, so I can't complain. But I don't want to be pushed into leaving just because I'm being dictated to by Events (dear boy, Events).
  • I'm going work my arse off and find money from somewhere - whether it's life modelling or web work on the side or designing a zillion Tshirts - so I can pay my way through this bullshit and not continue relying on my parents who have both now retired.
  • I'm going to write my next book because I am a writer and I've put it off too long.
  • I'm going to record another single and have another video and another launch party to go with it, because I am a musician and I want to do another one before I go that's bigger and better than the last two. I'm already generating ideas for it, because that's what I do.
And I'm going to do a whole bunch of other things like eating breakfast and hanging out with friends and drinking pinot noir, because life isn't just about the big things and you don't get anywhere by being narrow and burning out.

I can trace a lot of this situation back to my decision after university to "focus on the band", rather than getting a "proper job". Do I regret it? No, in the sense I fucking loved that band and despite all the fuckups I made with it, it's the greatest thing I've ever done. But perhaps, because it turns out you can have a band as well as a proper job that provides a) money to be self-reliant and b) bankable CV experience when times predictably turn shitty like this. But hey, you make your bed, then you lie in it, then you stand back up and get on with your fucking day.

Onwards bitches.

Yes, this is a self-absorbed rant. But it's a blog about me, right?

3 comments:

  1. Jez, Jez, Jez. I speak from experience: you WILL be granted a BUNAC visa. It's 99.9% certain. It may not even take 4 weeks to get it (it didn't for me; ask Parris how long it took him). Granted that was in the U.S., but still. You'll be at home, can pay the fee to switch your ticket, and come back to NZ a week early if you want.

    You CAN find a subletter, via CS or TradeMe.

    You CAN expand your web-design side business. You're good at that, it makes money, and it's reliable income.

    You CAN do more life modelling -- I'll pass you the numbers of people to contact and remind that you're available.

    You CAN come to Australia (for two years instead of the one us Yanks get), for a minimal visa fee.

    You CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa you rock the fucking house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can do it too!

    ReplyDelete