Saturday, 17 March 2012

Project Airfix - why it half failed

Project Airfix is half dead, as the original idea. This doesn't mean it doesn't have value as a concept, it's just not been my priority and still isn't my priority.
A recap!
  • I am working on an album which will be called "Airfix Democracies"*
  • I wanted to show and share the album as it was recorded
  • This included uploading original raw files for people to download and mix their own way
As you can probably tell, I didn't get far with this. Recording is a time-consuming business you have to commit to, and I haven't, largely due to Other Important Things happening in my life. Not only that, the admin involved in labelling, sharing and uploading raw files to the internet is also considerable, and that didn't happen either.

But there's another main reason it didn't work - sharing songs as soon as they're written (as I really did intend to do) directly contradicts the idea of an album having new songs for people to get excited about. If there are no new songs, people are far less interested, if at all. (This why even the greatest and most moral bands release Greatest Hits albums with shitty, shitty, additional new recordings that may or may not be a greatest hit, and usually no-one gives a shit about.)

Whatever will I had to produce Airfix Democracies in that original way has fallen foul of this desire - to have something new to present to people who already know the singles and b-sides (Dinosaurs, Robots, Lighthouses, Boy With X-Ray Eyes, Sunshine, Wine/Vodka/Bourbon). I still want to do this with another recording in the future, but not this one, and not now.

But.
There is always a(nother) but.
Airfix is only half dead.

Airfix Democracies will be recorded and released, hopefully in 2012, hopefully as part of something bigger. I hope you're looking forward to it at least half as much as I am.

*I've been working towards, or on, this album for quite a while. Give me a break. The title comes from a line from the song "Sunshine" - it was a working title at first (@mpswy wasn't hugely impressed, I remember that) but nothing better has come to mind in the last 4 years and it's stuck. I like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment