Saturday, 31 March 2012

Vindication, increment by increment

I have been given a secondment at my workplace, Govt Dept X. From this Monday I will officially be an "Advisor", rather than "Administration Assistant". This is good.

When I first arrived in New Zealand (late Oct 2008), I didn't want to phone my parents until I got a job. This was highly symbolic. At the age of 25, I was finally moving out of home properly and being independent, in theory anyway. Unfortunately the Global SubPrime Financial Screwup of 2008 meant that my first "job" was 1 week of filing at the hospital in mid-December.
(Don't worry, I did keep in touch with email and texting.)

Between then and when I started my current job (January 2011) were my 2 years in Global Recession Temping Hell. Almost sounds like a TV series doesn't it?

Through a series of short-term spirit-crushing data entry and filing jobs, the many frustrations included terrible pay, lack of job security, zero-to-negative job satisfaction etc. etc.

But the most frustrating thing of all was that no-one - not the employers I sent applications, or the temping agencies, or the places I worked (barring a few exceptions) - saw potential in me, or saw that I was suitable for anything more than destroying my fingers and eyes at a keyboard & screen for 8 hours a day. One place was so bad - the work and the team "leader"'s attitude - that I left even though I really needed the money.

After spending 2 years looking for jobs and sending endless applications (often getting no reply at all) and being grateful for even the crappiest work that the agencies send your way, your self-worth takes a serious battering.

So, you can imagine my relief at this new opportunity.

It's only incremental relief. Getting a long-ish temp job; getting extended; getting extended again; getting a fixed term contract; and now, a temporary secondment to a better role. But it is still welcome nonetheless.

This is by no means the end. The secondment is only for a few months (at the moment), and does nothing for my immigration/visa situation (not in itself, anyway). My visa is up in November, and although I still want to stay in NZ and at my current workplace, the options for me staying are still very limited. The future is still very much unwritten.

However, it feels like a little miracle to get a decent job because people realised I Can Do Stuff, and I Can Do It Well. That's the most satisfying thing of all.

1 comment:

  1. Having been there in the trenches with you (and having it hit home when I read about temping in the "NO UP" trilogy), I know how you feel. I am so proud of you for sticking it out and succeeding against the odds. Keep doing whatever you can -- I know you will!

    ReplyDelete