Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Fresh new album details for CULTUUR SUGOI

This is what I revealed in my very exciting exclusive mailout recently. Exclusive! Much excite! Wow!
Subscribe to my mailing list on ReverbNation because it's cool and stuff

NEW ALBUM "CULTUUR SUGOI"
It's time for a new album. Like 2012's "Airfix Democracies", this one has been in the works for a long time and it's very exciting to be recording again.

You are the first people to know the tracklist for this album and I hope you find it interesting:

TRACKLIST
1. Big Black Hole In The Sky
2. Animals
3. Equality And Lasers
4. Lighten Up, No Thanks
5. The Simplest Songs Sell The Best
6. Sagittarius A* (Scandalous Heart)
7. See Me Where I Lie
8. Whores On Horseback
9. Weird Stars
10. The Hype Of Yesteryear
11. This Disco Can Count To 7
12. Alchemy

Some of you will already see why this is big news for me.

"Animals" and "Lighten Up" are from "Without Fear" (2009) and after years of exhilarating live gigs, finally get their full production rock versions

Some songs go way back, like "The Hype Of Yesteryear", which was played at the Lighthouses Launch in 2011...

...some go way way back, like "Alchemy" which is an unrecorded F451 song (2007)...

...and some go WAY back, with instrumental "See Me Where I Lie" written when I was 17!

Some are brand spanking new, like "Weird Stars", "Equality And Lasers", "Whores On Horseback" and "The Simplest Songs Sell The Best" which have never been performed anywhere ever

There are several overlapping themes, including space/stars/science (4 songs), self/determination (3 songs), happy-ish cynicism (3 songs), and equality (3 songs)


CAN YOU DESCRIBE IT IN A WORD? HOW ABOUT A SOUND?
It's even more upbeat than the light brightness of "Airfix", but also darker and more colourful.

As you'd expect, it's FULL of tunes, riffs and choruses that will get stuck in your head. I've been writing ear-worms since "Science Is Everything" in 2002. I'm pretty good at it.

I'm very much looking forward to unleashing "Equality And Lasers" on the world, and the mighty chorus for "Sagittarius A*" is as unapologetic as I am.

But there's some new sounds and styles, including elements of darkness in "Whores On Horseback" - which is still a very positive song about stigma and equality - and "Weird Stars" - which switches into the most uplifting outro of anything I've written.


WHAT'S THE NAME ABOUT?
It's just a nonsense phrase, a working title that stuck: "cultuur" is the Dutch word for "culture", and "sugoi" is a Japanese word for "excellent" or "awesome".

Bolted together they mean nothing. But it's reminiscent of the way some expressions never have a perfect translation, like the cockney-Russian in "A Clockwork Orange".

The album has plenty to say - I always do - but it's a very upbeat album and even less political than "Airfix". The title is more a flavour than a description or a mission.


RELEASE SCHEDULE & STRATEGY

- The album is out 3pm Sunday 16th November (AEDT, UTC+11hrs)
- Some of the big tracks will be uploaded the week before the release, to get you all excited
- After the release, I'm hoping to put out some cool videos of key songs
- The album will be pay-what-you-like i.e. FREE just like all my music

At the moment, it's purely an online release, but I'll let you know if a launch gig gets organised...


SO, IS THAT THE ARTWORK? BIT SHIT ISN'T IT?
It's just the temporary artwork. I'm busy! Let me get on with it!


OKAY. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
Definitely download Airfix DemocraciesWithout Fear and Time and Light for free if you haven't already!
http://jezkemp.bandcamp.com

Download the Last.Fm scrobbler app, then play my songs a lot, so that they give me 3 Eskimo pence in moneys
www.last.fm/music/jez+Kemp


Download The Library Suits and Captain What albums, because they're incredible!






Captain What
Ralph and Piggy (We Are Here)

And pretty much just stay classy, wherever you are in the world!



T-SHIRTS, DESIGN, PINTEREST
I've been working on my designing - it's come a long way since I made those "I Love Dinosaurs" T-shirts for the "I Believe In Dinosaurs" launch in June 2010.

There's now a dedicated Facebook page for my designing, and I've got a Pinterest page if you're on there too:
RB - https://jezkemp.redbubble.com (buy cool stuff!)

Unlike last year, there will be more updates - maybe 1 email per month before the release - I hope you don't mind.

Catch you soon!
Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment