Monday, 11 May 2015

One More Flight.

It's clear from the election I'm coming back to live in a Britain radically different from the one I left in 2008.

But that aside, I'm also nervous and excited for a whole bunch of reasons.

I'm writing this from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport. This is my last long haul flight I'll take for probably a long time, and I don't even have a good estimate when. Both of these things are very weird.

I've become used to airports. I like them now.

My joke from the last few weeks is that I'm glad job interviewers won't ask me about my visa status any more - except that, considering my accent, they probably will.

It's also strange when I think I've spent more of my life in both Bangkok (8 weeks) and Chiang Mai (5 weeks) than I have in most British cities.

I am woefully underprepared for moving to London. The original plan was to use my stable time in Chiang Mai to upskill and apply for jobs. Instead, I cut my trip short, took a manic trip to Macau and Hong Kong, and completely underestimated the unforgiving the heat of Thailand this time of year; all of these have all left me flapping around and simply desperate for normality.

I'm really, really looking forward to British weather.

I've discussed travelling vs backpacking with people a lot recently - if I was in any doubt, the last few weeks have confirmed for me how much I hate carrying my shit everywhere.

I left England with a guitar, laptop, suitcase and bag, and I am returning with these same 4 things. It's become part of the history and mythology of how I see myself and I my life. And being able to carry these things all at once, by myself, is an important symbol of my competence and independence.

But even just carrying my laptop and backpack through the sweaty streets of Macau for 2 days was enough to drive me mad.

Maybe one day I will go "backpacking" again. I hope to do more adventuring and exploring, even as a boring old fart in my 30s. But not now.

Now, I'm hoping to make London my home and Europe my neighbourhood.

I'm looking forward to studying again, and staying in the same place, and being productive. London is calling.

But right now, I'm looking forward to free drinks and movies on the plane.

See you soon.

Jx



3 comments:

  1. Love you lots and miss you even more. Can't wait to keep up-to-date on your move back to Blimey. -T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already miss you, but looking forward to hearing about Londontown. I miss Londontown too. Enjoy! <3

    ReplyDelete